Skip to main content

Business Interruption

This policy protects you from loss resulting from interruption or interference with the business carried on by you at the premises as a result of damage to property.

Business Interruption insurance (B.I.) can be issued as a separate stand-alone policy but is more usually insured together with the material damage cover or as a section in a commercial combined policy.

There are several types of B.I. policies with the most common being:

  • All Risks (Property)
  • Commercial Combined
  • Cyber
  • Engineering
  • Fire and Special Perils (Property)
  • Marine

Although much of B.I. insurance is written on a Gross Profit basis, there are other forms of cover which are tailored to circumstances or to the needs of certain types of business. These include Increased Cost of Working Only, Gross Revenue and Gross Fees.

In addition to the physical damage which happens, your business will also usually suffer a consequent loss of business income. For example, in the event of a fire you may also incur extra costs, such as renting alternative premises to maintain the turnover of the business. Such consequential losses are the subject of B.I. insurance which serves the vital purpose of enabling your business to continue operating in the event of a covered loss.

This can be a complex issue but we will help you through the process to ensure that the cover and sums insured are correctly calculated.


If your home meets any of the criteria set out by the government: then it is a House in Multiple Occupation. We have specialist products to help you with this exposure.

Loss of Rent

Rent payable is a business expense, which in the short term at least, is a fixed cost of the business which we can help you to protect via Gross Profit cover. In addition to rents received by landlords, some companies will receive rent payments which are not an integral part of their business. We provide policies to protect you for both scenarios.

Material Damage

Protecting your business assets is a key part of any transfer or risk from you to an insurer. Cover is usually arranged on an All Risks basis and includes insurance protection for such items as Theft and Accidental Damage.

Not only will we help you to find the right insurance protection but we believe that preventing accidents has both human and financial benefit. Insurance is a method to transfer your risks to another party but there are still exposures which remain uninsured such as the management time spent in dealing with the aftermath of accidents. Good Risk Management practices help to prevent accidents or to mitigate the cost of those that, unfortunately, still do occur.

Working in conjunction with selected insurers or specialist independent companies we can access resources to address exposures such as Fire Protection, Business Continuity and Security and assist you in putting together an appropriate Risk Management programme.

Having a proven, good Risk Management culture not only protects your business but also helps to keep down the cost of insurance. Our aim is to help you avoid any claims which will disrupt your business and in addition to specialist local companies with whom we work, many of our insurer partners offer risk management tools at either no charge or discounted prices.

In the event of certain types of claim, such as a Fire, Flood or Business Interruption, insurers will often appoint a Loss Adjustor. Although they are bound by professional standards to treat the customer fairly, the Loss Adjustors are generally working on behalf of the Insurer. It can, therefore, be beneficial to appoint a Loss Assessor who will act on your behalf.

Even though you are responsible for the costs of employing such Loss Assessors the financial benefits can be significant on large or complex claims. We will work with you to appoint the most appropriate Loss Assessor.

Property Investors

We have strong relationships with local property investors and developers. We network closely with those involved in property investment.

Property Undergoing Works

We can help you to protect your property whilst it is undergoing maintenance, upgrade and repair with cover for both the employer (usually the owner or the occupier of the finished premises) and the construction contractor.

Contractors’ All Risks (C.A.R.) policies protect contractors, the employer and other parties who have an insurable interest in the construction project and for example, can cover the parties to both Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) for buildings contracts and Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) for civil engineering projects.

Good standard C.A.R. policies provide cover for material damage to the contract works, to property whilst in transit or on site, injury to people and theft of building materials and plant but despite the term All Risks there are still policy conditions and exclusions that apply. For example, the speculative risk of making a profit out of the works cannot be insured. We can offer annually renewable blanket (or open) policies covering all contract works within agreed parameters or alternatively, individual policies for specified contracts.

Policies can also be extended to include cover under clause 6.5.1 of the JCT 2016 Standard Building Contract which, if triggered, requires the contractor to buy additional insurance in the joint names of themselves and the employer to cover any expense, liability, loss, or claim that the employer may incur due to specific events such as collapse, subsidence, heave, vibration, weakening or removal of support and lowering of ground water. The employer needs cover for potential damage to property that is caused by (not to) the contract works and for which the contractor is not negligent. As a result, this cover is sometimes referred to as the non-negligence extension.

When arranging Professional Indemnity insurance for Contractors, we work with insurers and their legal partners who provide a Collateral Warranty review service, often as part of the premium.